Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work in Indiana Gave 2 wk notice on 6/22/10 and discussed…

Customer Question
I work in Indiana Gave 2...
I work in Indiana
Gave 2 wk notice on 6/22/10 and discussed it with boss. I only work Tuesday through Friday. 7/04/10 ends the pay period.
I am being told that I have to work till 7/6/10. That is when my new job starts on a different shift. I thought the 2 weeks, 14 days would have been the 5th, which I don't work Mondays.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Unless there's a contract (or sometimes a promise) to the contrary, employees are usually employed at will. At-will employment means that either party may terminate the employee-employer relationship at any time without notice.

Typically, providing notice prior to leaving a job is a mere courtesy and is not something an employee is required to do. However, contracts and promises to the contrary can alter that.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Two weeks/14 days. I am leaving because the manager has gotten on my last nerve anyway, and this is just another control issue.

So, just because they tell me my last day is the 6th I have to accept it? I dont even want to work the next three days.

Thank you.

As stated previously, unless an employee has a contract requiring him to work for a certain duration, only custom and courtesy typically require an individual to provide any notice prior to leaving. People walk out on their jobs every day. However, if an individual has a contract requiring him to work for a certain period, he may be liable for damages if he breaches that contract.

Obviously, there are some exceptions (such as lawyers) where leaving without any notice could place an employer (or a client) in a situation that could leave an employee liable to one party or another. However, most employees are employed at will and may terminate employment at any time.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________