Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Eligible for EUC, but not regular benefits

Customer Question
If a new claim was...
If a new claim was filed, but was eligible for extended or emergency benefits under a previous claim year, which one is superior?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2010
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
The new claim is superior to the extended benefits since that is an emergency benefit. Once you file the new claim the old claim on extended benefits is closed and the new claim with the new benefit year takes over.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Okay, so the new claim should take precedent, but what if that did not happen? That is part of my issue because the NCESC said I had an overpayment. However, they knew I was working part time because I listed my wages during my weekly certification.
I do not understand what you mean, "what if that did not happen?" If it did not happen you would continue on your emergency benefit claim and would not have had any new claim to make. When you are overpaid, even in error, you must repay. If you gave them notice you were working part time and they made a mistake in calculating the payment you are still liable for paying them if you were not to receive that payment.