Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I feel as my boss is harassing me and is threating my job as…

Customer Question
I feel as my boss...
I feel as my boss is harassing me and is threating my job as well. I believe that I have several things that I can "whistle blow" him on (OSHA, etc) but I am worried about what he might do. I am a manager of a two person (incl myself) branch office/warehouse. We are pulled and have been stretched several different ways, as the boss just says that we have to do more for the team. He is located in California (corporate office), as I am in Michigan. I have 14 years with the company (10 in Mich) and he keeps expecting more work for less pay from me. I have recenly worked through knee surgery (only missed two days), back issues, which I did go through a workmans comp and still never missed a day and I have been fighting with a right arm injury and am still expected to do everything the same and more. My duties include everything from lifting lite to very heavy items, as we must package and ship products, as orders come in. I am expected to receive and stock products, as well as do desk (computer) work. Yesterday he expressed his disapointment that I did not answer his call to my personal cell phone, on Friday, after regular business hours. He also expects me to compete with myself on products that I must ship out and not get paid for in my commissioned sales territory. This has been going on for 4 + years now. My fear/concern is that he is an "at will" employer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2010
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question.What precisely do you want to know?

I guess I just want to know if this sounds like harassment and/or if this is legal or acceptable behavior from an employer? Do I have to take this, in fear of losing my job because he is "at will"? If I was to file a complaint with OSHA or some other agency, can he still fire me, as well? Any answers or direction would be helpfull to me.

Thanks

If there is illegal conduct at work, you very much need not keep it to yourself and can report to the labor department, and pursue a claim if there is retaliation.
That really didn't answer the questions/concerns. How else can I explain my issue to you?
Please isolate for me then a specific question you need answered and I will do my best to respond to it.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
what can I answer for you?
Does it sound like he is harassing me and if so, can he get away with this by threating me? Being "at will" does it even matter, as he can terminate me anyways (or can he?)? Also, if I do make a complaint to the labor dept or OSHA, can that work against me as far as being fired legally, as well?
To be actionable, it has to be discriminatory or else retaliatory for seeking to report illegal conduct.
I do not beleive that my questions are being answered. This is certainly not worth 38 dollars. Maybe this is not worth your time. Sorry for the interuption but this is a very big deal to me!
What else do you want to know?