Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I feel I am being lied to by my current employer. I am an Account…

Customer Question
I feel I am being...
I feel I am being lied to by my current employer. I am an Account Manager and have been at this job for almost 3 years. I have never gotten any disciplinary action of any sort. I was slyly taken away from a large account on Friday June 18th. I was given a warning last Monday June 21st. The warning said that I was notified verbally previously about conduct that was deemed unprofessional and self-serving. It also said that I was a bad reflection on 1 current and 1 potential customer. It also said that 6 Managers had problems with me. I wrote down on the warning that I was anxious to know why exactly and how to fix it. They called it coaching and counseling. I put off a meeting until Wednesday June 30th as my Manager wants me to meet again. I already foolishly signed this document and did not get a copy of it. I am finding this document to be an exacerbation of something small. It also would be signed and sent to Human Resources. Again I have never had anything like this happen in the 3 years I have been for the company.

At this point it seems that I am now the “bad guy” and have a target on my back. Everything I do gets criticized unnecessarily. I cannot have a rational conversation unless I am kissing but. Everything I do seems to have a response from my Manager that gets reported to the sales team as another new rule policy or procedure. I feel as if I am being discriminated against. No one says they get criticized like I do. 2 Managers specifically now create a fuss about discussing work and seem to blame me if I go to them for help. I feel the end of my job coming near. I cannot get a straight answer from my boss. The actions are malicious and do not represent what is said verbally or written on the warning. He even mentioned that there are politics involved in business.

Can my employer just keep exacerbating things? Can they keep forcing me to sign these documents that do not represent their true intentions or what is really going on? What kind of legal help do I need to prepare action if I am going to get wrongfully terminated? What kind of language or procedure do they need to do to fire me? What should I do if they keep throwing these pieces of paper at me? Just mindlessly sign them and be a Yes Man? My sales numbers are above average of the entire sales group. I am in the top 5 of 12 people in our sales group. My employer seems to care less about production but more about following strict procedures that are made unclear to me and changing for the worst.

Please help!

Travis
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
On what basis do you believe you are being discriminated against"?

They have chosen not to deal with me. They are simply neglecting me. They are not doing this to my fellow employees. I am describing the problem but I don't know how to categorize the specific type of discrimation this is. Say if you are supposed to be an elected official and you are simply ignoring a certain constituent. I don't know how else to describe this or what type of discrimination.

Unfortunately, Title VII only recognizes discrimination based on age, race, gender, disability, religion, or national origin. I can only go by the facts as you have given them and you have not described any discrimination.

If you are an at-will employee, meaning that you do not have an employment contract, you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. The exception is that you cannot be discriminated as described above.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for the time it takes to research and respond to your questions.