Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Ive just been fired but told that I was now being hired by…

Customer Question
I've just been fired but...
I've just been fired but told that I was now being hired by the same company as a "Contractor". I do sales from home and on the road. I've worked for this same company for over 7 years. My performance is good. I fact, I'm the best producer the firm has. I was handed a draft of my new "Contract" but states that any disputes arising from it shall be governed by the laws of Singapore. Now I've been working for the US branch of this firm, and I have no idea what the laws of Singapore state for independent contractors and I'm not in a position to fly off to Singapore should they fail to pay me, or reimburse expenses. The last contract they presented me with 6 months ago for my general employment was supposed to have been good for a year but they changed their minds. I'm at a loss. If i sign this contract, what recourse do I have should i need legal assistance? Can they prosecute me for breach and force me to Singapore?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2010
Employment Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
If you sign a contract that has a choice of law clause, then the law chosen will apply, and a court in California would apply the laws of Singapore in interpreting the contract. Beware, the contract may have a forum selection clause that would force any litigation over the contract to take place in Singapore.

They have no right to just cancel the existing contract and by asking you to sign a new contract with different terms effective before the existing contract expires, they have probably breached the existing contract under a doctrine called anticipatory breach or repudiation.

I urge you to have your existing contract and the new contract reviewed by a local attorney. You can get a free consultation from some of the California employees' rights lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Employment-Law----Employee/California

I hope this information is helpful.