Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am currently employed for a company in Memphis, TN. I have…

I am currently employed for...
I am currently employed for a company in Memphis, TN. I have been with them almost four years and I have very good employee record. When I was hired the company did their drig screen and background checks. Both of them came back fine and I was hired. Last year our company had an employee who was caught embezzling company money and has been prosecuted. Now, my company is wanting a group of first hired employees to go through an online background check. The claim that they did not do a background check. However, my Head Hunter specifically recalls the company performing one. I do have a criminal record that now shows on a background check. I have a Statutory rape charge dated 12/01/1994. It is the only record I have, but it is a Felony. I did not serve prison time, but probation time. Since then I have not had any legal issues and neither did I before this happened. I do not have to register now as a Sex Offender because I requested release after ten years law was past. It was granted to me. I have until this Friday night to go online and complete the background check. What should I do and could the company fire me? Thank you very much
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Chat Conversation Started
B. T. Mayer, Counselor at :

Hello there:

B. T. Mayer, Counselor at :

Hello there:

B. T. Mayer, Counselor at :

Hello there:

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
An answer has not yet been given. There seems to be a problem with the post... I needed a bit more information. Have you had the conviction expunged?