Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter has a bachelors degree but because of tough economic…

Customer Question
My daughter has a bachelors...
My daughter has a bachelors degree but because of tough economic times she has had a nightmare finding and keeping a job. She is a very good young lady who has had to overcome a great deal of adversity in her personal and work life. A year and a half ago she was laid off from her job along with 22 of her co-workers. She went through some very difficult months searching for another job in advertising sales and finally landed one. Unfortunately, the job didn't work out because she was put in an impossible situation and was treated unfairly by her employer. She was put in humilitating and demoralizing situations. At one point she was called in and told that it was not working out for them and that they would be giving her two weeks to look for another job. (This with no prior notice nor explanation as to why it wasn't working out for them.) At this point my daughter pleaded her case and was told that they would give her 90 more days to convince them to keep her. The boss even told her he would give her some money to change her clothing. My daughter does not come from an affluent background so she does not have alot of money to buy fancy clothes but does her best to dress professionally. (She is a conservative dresser.)She also didn't drive a fancy car. Needless to say, she was very offended by his remarks.

When my daughter came to visit with us that evening and told her father and I what had happened, we cried because we knew how devastated she was. My husband and I had seen how her job had been affecting her emotionally and physically but encouraged her to keep trying. However, this was the last straw. We advised her to let her boss know that she could no longer work under those circumstances.

We believe that they never had good intentions to develop her and help her succeed in her career. She along with some of her colleagues was a victim of- lets see what we can get from them and then let them go. It was very malicious of them because they did not provide her with much of a salary, no expense account, she had to use her own vehicle to travel all around the city in search of new business, no training, etc. Despite it all, she brought in new clients, had a good working relationship with her peers, and a great work ethic. She had never been told that they were unsatisfied with her performance; quite the opposite, her immediate boss had told her that they were happy to have her on their team.

Now she is umemployed again, not receiving any benefits, though she has applied. She stands to lose her apartment and mess up her credit history. She is devastated beyond words. I have encouraged her to go through an Alternative Certification Teacher program. She recently completed the program passing her test and her course work. She is eligible to apply for an EC-6th grade teaching position but is faced with the almost impossible task of finding a job at this point in the year. She is applying online to as many school districts as she can as well as going to job fairs. We pray that someone will pick her up. She is really a very nuturing, loving and caring person, not to mention that she is a smart and pretty young lady. She just needs to have someone give her a break.

As her mother I am very concern about her. I don't know what to do to help her so I am writing to you. It isn't right!! Whatever happened to the American Dream? You work hard, get a good education, be a good citizen, have a good work ethic and you will have a successful career and be able to provide for yourself and your family. I'm trying to stay positive here because I myself am a teacher and this is the message I still try to convey to my students. However, it has become increasingly difficulty for me to believe this. My husband and I are paying on a loan that we took out to help her pay for her college education and she too is in debt with a college loan. It's of deep concern to us. We don't know what is going to happen to her if she does not receive unemployment benefits or lands a teaching job. I feel helpless! I've already lost a daughter to leukemia and now I am seeing another daughter suffering in another way.

Please, please let me know what we can do. I'm still very upset with her last employer. I feel that they just wanted to use her and took advantage of her vulnerability.

A concerned mom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
I'm sorry. What is your question?
Are you my Expert or is it Tina? Not sure because I had received previous feedback that my Verified Expert would be Tina.
I don't see anything saying that Tina has been selective to answer this question. It was in the general employment law section and I am an employment law attorney.

If you don't want me to answer, that's fine. Just tell me and I'll opt out and try to contact Tina. See if you can change the title to include Tina's name in it.

Otherwise, what is your question?
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
What is your question please?

Tina, I am a bit confused. Jagcorps esq responded to my request. They said that they didn't see anything that said that Tina had been selected to answer my question. I did reply to them but haven't received an answer. I don't know who I should be addressing. I originally thought you were going to answer me. Will you please let me know? I just want to know what steps to take to help my daughter. It would be helpful if she could receive unemployment benefits until she is able to land a teaching job.

Thank you

I received a message that you requested me, so I will try to help.

All your daughter really can do is file an application for unemployment benefits. If she has enough earnings and was not terminated from her job for good cause, then she should receive the benefits.

Here is a link that provides information on how to apply:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/uiclaim.html

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.