Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a salaried employee in Ohio my team lead recently made…

Customer Question
I am a salaried employee...
I am a salaried employee in Ohio my team lead recently made me adhere to hours 9-6 m-f and said I have to provide 48 hours notice if going to be out of work to get it approved. When I called on a Friday afternoon (after a surgical procedure) to request Monday off he said it had to be 48 business hours. But the document I have says "48 hours". (no mention of business hours) Do I go to HR?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/28/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Since there is, at this time, no Federal or Ohio law that mandates sick leave, whether or not you are entitled to it and under what circumstances is up to the employer and their policies and procedures. Your company apparently has some sort of sick leave policy, which based on the limited information that you have provided, does not leave room for emergencies. In any event, if there is a question as to the meaning of any of the terms of the policy, you will need to clarify that with your HR Department. If the policy does read "48 hours" and doesn't specify that they are business hours and nothing else in the policy when read in its entirety would make it clear that this is what the policy meant, then arguably you are correct that you met the 48 hour rule. In the end though, that is something you will need to work out in your workplace.