Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Due to a recent accident, I am physically unable to work more…

Customer Question
Due to a recent accident...
Due to a recent accident, I am physically unable to work more than 8 hours a day. I have a note from my Dr stating this. Does my employer have to comply with this restriction
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/28/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Your employer can not force you to work more than 8 hours, but the employer can state that being able to work more than 8 hours is a requirement of the job and if you can not meet the requirements of the job, you can be terminated.

Certainly, you can take FMLA on an intermittent basis to cover some of the time off (assuming that you've been there a year and your employer has more than 50 employees and that you're doctor will certify you for FMLA leave). The ADA does require accommodation for disabilities, but if you are not disabled you can use that law. Even if you are, the employer only has to give you reasonable accommodations to meet it's requirements...it doesn't have to change its requirements.
Could you clarify " The ADA does require accommodation for disabilities, but if you are not disabled you can use that law.
The ADA does require accommodation for disabilities, but if you are not disabled you can not use that law. You'd have to have a disability to demand accommodation.

That being said, altering expectations, meaning accepting fewer hours from you than they want, is not an accommodation. An accommodation is something that allows you to meet their expectations, like a computer screen that makes the letters bigger for those with poor vision....or a special chair....or more breaks during the day, made up with by a longer day.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Thank you
No problem.