Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have recently been fired (from a medical field call center)

Customer Question
for what I was told...
I have recently been fired (from a medical field call center) for what I was told data entry errors as the main reason for the termination. My ex employer has filed an appeal on the bases of misconduct - disruptive in the work area ( one time I expressed my distress in not be able to leave 2 hrs early on a day I already worked just a half day due to babysitting issues while another employee did get to leave early on a higher call volume day- I was told by management I could not leave earlier due to call volume. another time an employee, on a friday @ 4:30 left the room(leaving us with just 2 people in the center) she had been called in to help us mainly for this time period.. On a side note I had been told in my evaluation we were not to leave the center for any reasons. the employee was in my managers' office. the other employee with me ( who lives with HR) at the time denied to know where she was, tardiness ( that had improved this year- yet their documentation to the appeals court does no show this.please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/28/2010
Employment Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
If you did commit errors that is misconduct connected with the work so you would be denied unemployment benefits. now if they are saying it was for a different reason you could show that due to their inability to actually pick one reason, they are lying about the reason and it was really for retaliation due to your medical issues.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
they also did not file their intial "claim" in a timely manner. that is also part of the appeal. why does the claimant have to be at the appealwhat teh? my feeling is that my character will be "stripped", their attorney is probably just being told only they want her to know, and this could be an ugly hearing. I don't want any part of it. I feel like documentation should be good enough.
If you do not appear and you lose then you have no right to appeal further. Both parties are expected to appear to defend their interest. That is how the system is set up.
can someone represent me from cincinnati, oh at the hearing? i live in ky
Yes. In unemployment hearings you can have anyone represent you as long as they state they are not an attorney they are just your representative.