Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

do you think i could sue for mistreatment and retaliation…

Customer Question
do you think i could...
do you think i could sue for mistreatment and retaliation? which is strickly prohibated by the company, i have been at lunch when my manager and my supervisor had beers. My manager knew i could get him fired at any time because i knew about the company policies he broke during the affair. I think he was after me to get me fired and not worry anymore about what i knew.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/27/2010
Employment Lawyer: Faye Lee, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Faye Lee
Faye Lee, Lawyer
Hello, can you clarify for me, where you terminated and if so what was the reason and by whom?
i was terminated for drinking a glass of wine on my lunch hour

If your employer has a policy that informs all employees that if they drink alcohol during

work hours or while at lunch then that policy should be applied across the company. to all employees. A policy should not be applied that would create a disparity in treatment. Then this causes discrimination claims.

If the policy is being applied inconsistent across the company and you were impacted you may have an legal action against your employer. However you will have to prove that other employees have or continue to violate this policy. If you were selected for termination and you know of others who drink during lunch and was not terminated you should report the situation to your Human Resources Manager.

You should request an investigation for disparity in treatment. If the others are males and you are the only one impacted and you are in a protective group such as female , minority then you may be able to file an EEOC complaint see www.eeoc.com . But recognize you will have to prove that you were discriminated against because of a protecive class. You may want to file an EEOC complaint.

Sorry I did not see your response to my question until now, hope this helps.