Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have recently been repremanded in the work place and believe…

Customer Question
I have recently been repremanded...
I have recently been repremanded in the work place and believe that I am be discharged in the coming days. There are employees, and a former employee, in my workplace that have not faced termination. Other employees have been found to sell marijuana on work premises, fighting on company grounds, an employee that stole company property and cost the company thousands of dollars, and another employee which sexually harassed a representative. No actions were taken against them, one had a 3 day unpaid suspension, in one case as mentioned the only dismissal came after employees staged a protest at work, only then was the manager terminated. All these aforementioned employees are of African American race. I had a compalined lodged about my use of language and subject matter of my conversations, and was hinted to me that I would and could be fired. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/26/2010
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Based on your statement of the facts it appears that you feel that you are being discriminated against based on your race. If that can be shown, then you may indeed have a case. Under the circumstances I would urge you to consider filing a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) : To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(NNN) NNN-NNNN EEOC website: www.eeoc.gov

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex and Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

Many times the investigation by the EEOC results in the employer correcting the mistakes it has made and no further harm comes to the complaining employee.

I wish you the best in your future.

Best regards,

Doug

Relist: This is a very vague answer. I have just begun my research on this topic and had known of the EEOC complaint form I cam file either online, in person, or over the phone. .
This is a very vague answer. I have just begun my research on this topic and had known of the EEOC complaint form I cam file either online, in person, or over the phone.
Relist: Answer quality.
Good afternoon,

The Answer is neither vague, nor it lacking in quality. On the contrary it was very specific. Your sole question was: "Do I have a case?" I answered that question and stated that if the facts as you have stated them to be can be shown to be the case, that you may well have a meritorious case. However, before you can sue the law REQUIRES that you obtain a right to sue letter from the EEOC.

And, in all fairness, the fact that you might have correctly suspected what the answer would be does not diminish the answer. It is correct. As you are likely aware, this is not a free site, but one in which the users are expected to abide by the honor system and Accept those Answers which are correct and helpful.

If you have a more specific question as to the law I will be happy to respond. But my answer is not vague---nor was it incorrect. If you ask a question which is capable of a yes or no answer----don't object when you get that answer---and kindly don't object when you are given so much more than a simple yes. Keep in mind that the better question you ask, the more detailed the answer is likely to be.

Best regards,

Doug