Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Good Afternoon, Currently I am about to set up a Chapter…

Customer Question
Good Afternoon, Currently I am about...
Good Afternoon,

Currently I am about to set up a Chapter 13 plan and my income is very low because I have been taking out pension loans and I am paying money in arrears to add years to my pension plan. My total loan is about $12000.00 and my plan has about $15000 in it. Do you think it would be possible for me to take the money from my plan and pay off my pension loan? This would give me about an extra $1100 per month.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/26/2010
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A loan repayment to a retirement plan is considered disposable income in Chapter 13. If you have $15,000 in assets, and you plan to use it to pay off your pension "loan," that may be considered "substantial abuse," and be found as grounds to dismiss the Chapter 13 entirely.

The reason why the loan repayment is income, is because you are not paying a creditor -- you are effectively paying yourself. See, e.g., In re Behlke, 358 F.3d 429, 2004 Fed.App. 0053P (6th Cir. 02/20/2004).

Hope this helps.

Have a new question for me? CLICK HERE.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.