LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

So my employee rights allow me to have a copy of the employee

Customer Question

So my employee rights allow me to have a copy of the employee handbook
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm not quite sure exactly what you are asking? As a general rule, yes, employee handbooks are made available to employees. After you leave the company however, you have no further right to an employee handbook from that company. If there are not enough handbooks so that one can be distributed to all employees, them employer may make a copy available for you to review at work, but it does not become yours to keep during your employment.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I read the employee handbook 18 months ago, was let go without any right ups warnings, never even signed a form about being let go. Im not clear if I was an at will employee, how can I retrieve that info
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

Unless you had a written employment contract with the company guaranteeing you a position, you were an employee-at-will.

Under the law, at-will employees may be terminated for any reason—at any time, even a mistaken reason, they can have their hours or pay decreased and they can suffer a cut in their benefits, so long as it's not illegal or unlawfully discriminatory. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In your state, an employment relationship is at-will unless there is a defined duration for the employment contract or if the contract permits termination by the employer only under specified circumstances.

Unlawful discrimination would include an employer discriminating based upon a person’s Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Gender or Disability.

I wish you the best in your future.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me. It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Doug