Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Good afternoon Iwas terminated june 21 2010 I did work for…

Customer Question
Good afternoon Iwas terminated june...
Good afternoon Iwas terminated june 21 2010 I did work for a trucking company and was terminated because a truck was sent to dealer for repair and I autorised for repair because my boss had allready given me ok before on trucks that were sent out he was on vacation thats when I gave the ok on a repair once came back and fired me and also on the letter that they gave me on termination also said these was not the 1st time that this happens but these was the first time and also that was costing company to much money company doesnt have any proff that these ever happened before I just went thru divorced monday when they called me to report to office I wasnt still filling good because on that same week I han an eye surgery and was also going to follow Drs appointment is there something I could do because that was not a reason for loosing a job and allready hab being working 7 years for the same company thanks jesusd
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/26/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Unless you had a contract of employment that stated that you could only be terminated or have the terms of your employment changed "for cause" or with your consent, you are an "at will" employee in your state.

That means that you can technically be terminated for no reason at all, just not race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use. If you suspect one of those motivations, then you should contact the EEOC to report discrimination.

Otherwise, all you can use the fact that you did have permission here for is to fight if they try to block your unemployment. While termination in Texas is a very low standard, blocking your employment requires honest proof of misconduct.