Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a small company in California. For time-to-time…

I work for a small...
I work for a small company in California. For time-to-time company has not fully paid my wages time-to-time (citing financial difficulties) as according to the job joining agreement. The company is still continuing and will go on based on the money they have. I am looking for other jobs/opportunities and have decided to move on. My question is there a process by which I can put a lien on the IP and other assets for my accumulated unpaid wages so far? Or in California is there any agency like EDD where they can put a lien for my accumulated unpaid wages. As far as I know, the main founder/majority owner has money and wants to make more money from selling IP etc but will not pay my unpaid wages citing financial difficulty.
6/26/2010
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
You can not put a lien on the company. The EDD can take your wage complaint and require the employer to pay the unpaid wages.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Is the process about how to do this well described on the EDD website?
Sorry it is not the EDD it is the Dept of Industrial Relations. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm This link helps you file your claim.