Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated due to my involvement in a workplace physical…

I was terminated due to...
I was terminated due to my involvement in a workplace physical altercation. I was termed on Monday and the other party was termed on Friday after I submitted an unemployment claim and the DOL contacted the employer. I did not hit nor attack this woman. I restrained her from hitting me. I am the only one who ended up with wounds. I feared walking away and the work environment was such that in the moment I was only thinking of protecting myself. However, I understand that if there is any physical contact both employees must be termed.

Here's my dilemma: I am being told that I will be listed on the state database as unemployable and that I will be listed on a retailers internal database as unemployable throughout the entire country. This will cause me economic hardship if I can't get a job.

What can I do? Do I need to legally dispute this, to have my record cleared? Where do I go to get this legal assistance? Do I need to complete a program to get my record cleared?

I have no prior history of violence in the workplace or criminally.
6/25/2010
Tina, Lawyer

I would first file a police report against the other employee. You will need to retain a local employment law attorney to contest the employer's decision to indicate you as not rehirable. If they are not willing to change the information, the attorney may need to obtain an order enjoining them from interfering with your job search.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Tina, Lawyer
How do I find an attorney like this and if I'm unemployed how would I afford this type of representation? Can you file the order yourself?

We cannot represent customers through this website, but you could look for an experienced paralegal to assist you if you cannot afford an attorney.

Good luck and take care.