Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

what is the policy on wrongful termination for michigan? can…

Customer Question
what is the policy on...
what is the policy on wrongful termination for michigan? can you be fired without any documentation as to what you supossedly did wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/25/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, absent a contract or a company policy to the contrary, an employer may typically terminate an employee at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. That means that employers don't usually need documentation. However, a contract and, in some instances, company policies can create obligations that an employer must meet. Further, an employee cannot be terminated due to unlawful discrimination (age (over 40), gender, race, etc.).

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

I worked for a major corporation, blockbuster and I'm not sure where i would find a company policy about termination without just cause. The official reason was apparently "manipulation of sales results" but they won't show me how they came to that conclusion. My boss was on vacay and our sales were better under my leadership, and i think she was worried for her own position...

Employers are usually forthcoming with such policies and they are often printed in employee manuals. If your attorney believes you may have a basis for legal action, he can seek to subpoena the information during the lawsuit.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________