Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Worked for the City of Atlanta. given drug test; positive;

Customer Question
forced to take pension then...
Worked for the City of Atlanta. given drug test; positive; forced to take pension then City stopped testing because section did not have approval from counsel to give tests. Do I have grounds for compensation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/25/2010
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Your time to sue them would have been at the time they were trying to force you to take your pension, but because they have now stopped testing after the fact, if you did not challenge the action within 1 year from the date of the action I am afraid you would not have any claim. However, if this was within a year, you can seek an employment law attorney to consider filing suit against them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

You are telling there a statue of limitation on an wrongful act, with no recourse because of time, what about defamation of character, the financial hardship,mental anguish
Yes, there is a statute of limitations on all acts except murder. Defamation and cases against government entities have even a shorter statute of limitations than most things.