Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

my husband is working for a company that is starting to layoff/fire…

Customer Question
my husband is working for...
my husband is working for a company that is starting to layoff/fire the long term (5 to 15year) employees (that have current ins.licenses)with new younger employees that will take less pay and that the company hired so they have to cut the work force by the newly hired. My husband has worked for this company for 18years and is 3 years from retirement. The company offers them a "package" to leave quietly (2 wks pay for each yr) which they have to sign and then they will not fight the unemployment. If the package is not taken, they said they have the right to release without the package after a certain date with only one more point against them- usually the date a new employee arrives. Is this right? and can they do this?- their HR person has 50 long term employees on her desk that they are doing an offer to.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. As severance is not legally required, it is common to ask for a release in exchange for the severance being paid.
First, Is it legal to hire new employees to replace long term employees and find an "excuse" to terminate the long term employee/older one even when the new employees are being allowed to do the same thing without termination or warning?
Legally, I am afraid the employer can do so provided it is not out of discrimination due to race, age, gender, nationality or religion. The employer can do so within its discretion for no reason at all.

Edited by INFOLAWYER on 6/25/2010 at 5:31 PM EST