Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a bus driver for a catholic charities agency in NJ while…

Customer Question
I am a bus driver...
I am a bus driver for a catholic charities agency in NJ while taking the kids home the bus aide was accused of hitting the kids. The state is investigating but I was put on suspension without pay because I dint see what happened. My employer says they have to wait until the state concludes the investigation and then if not named in the report I will return to work. Will I get retro pay for the weeks I dint work? I was not at fault and the state already told me I would not be named since am not the perp. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Employment Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Do you currently have a written employment agreement or contract with your employer?
No
Then, no, they do not have to give you backpay if you are cleared. They can, if they want to. However, the law does not require it.

It's a shot in the dark, but you may want to trying filing for unemployment right now. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Could you please clarify your reply?