Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Hello I recieved a letter from EDD and the letter is called…

Hello: I recieved a letter from...
Hello:

I recieved a letter from EDD and the letter is called a Notice of Status of Wages. It shows that my employer is: Louie Settlement Fund. It was investigated and here's the outcome:

EDD Dept Rep states the following: Wages not allowed per employer's records. Amounts reported in the 09/1 Qtr represent a settlement for a class action lawsuit relating to prior services performed out the the base period of this claim. Settlement class period is from 10/4/03 to 10/6/08. Back pay award is considered wages when services were performed, not in the base period. Section 926/1382, California Unemployment Ins Code.

I'm not sure what the above means and I need to appeal the wage adjustment to an Administrative Law Judge of the Calif Unemp Ins Appeals Board within 20 days from mailing date of June 23.

I need to file an appeal; but I don't know how to respond to this investigation. Please help me and advise as to what I can do.
6/25/2010
socrateaser, Lawyer

What it means is that your settlement was "earned" prior to the last 5 quarters, of work, therefore the amount is not included as wages for the purposes of unemployment eligibility.

I can't even think of a ground for appeal here, unless the dates of your original wage claim is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Thank you for your expertise and I would like to keep this dialogue open until next week when I get an answer from EDD. However, I do accept your answer and thank you for your quick reply.
I am at your service...take your time.