Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a full time police officer and I was operating within…

Customer Question
I am a full time...
I am a full time police officer and I was operating within the scope of my law enforcement duties. I have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of a complaint investigation. I was citing a motorist for being parked on the sidewalk on the state's right of way and turned into a political nightmare because he's a local business owner in the city that I work. I feel that I'm not trusted and I also feel that some people act as if they are above the law. Do I have standing based on this incident.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
you have standing, but exactly what you can do is limited, if you are part of a union you should file a grievance, if not and you are not getting paid, consider a lawsuit against the city and your employers for their actions. In your situation I would also go to the local press.

I am getting paid on administrative leave but I dont feel that Im trusted. The situation is really stressing me out and I just simply do not know what to do. I am in fear that termination is next. This issue needs to be addressed immediately.

you should send a letter certified to the HR AND SUPERVISOR stating your actions, and that any termination
or slanderous remarks made about you will be litigated. Since you were not terminated yet, this letter will put them on notice that you will retaliate, and sue them for an unlawful discharge.
do you feel that this is and issue for the justice department to entertain because clearly someone is in someone's pocket thats keeping me from doing what Im sworn to do. This occurs more than often where I work and other officers go through the same things but never comes forward because they fear retaliation. what is your take on this situation?
if their is witnesses and evidence the DOJ and State's Attorney Generals office, if this is a habit or their has been a pattern of this type of improper actions, then the Feds and State will come down on them.

I know of the situations but my fellow employees are not going to come forward. It's like their backs are against the wall. Is there anything further that you would recommend?

if you are discharged, consider going to the press and file a complaint to the state and feds, but if they claim you did anything wrong, consider a defamation lawsuit and unlawful discharge lawsuit.

Since I'm on paid administrative leave, should I continue to the press or wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is? Like I said, these types of issues occur all the time and the chief handles us as if we're puppets because of who he knows and who know him. Other city officials also interfere with law enforcement issues and it creates a officer safety issue. What can be done to keep them out of our way?

I would not go to the press until a discharge is made, unless you want go disclose the corruption without naming yourself. If their is a corruption and safety issue, I would not hesitate to get the state and federal government involved now, but in terms of a personal law suit, wait for a termination. I would also file a complaint now through the SC LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/ComplaintProcess.aspx?MenuID=GeneralInformation