Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My question is labor related. This past February I was notified…

Customer Question
My question is labor related...
My question is labor related. This past February I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I was presented with a seperation agreement which I decided not to sign. My employer gave me 4 weeks severance pay. I received a "pink slip" that stated the reason was due to no work. I am a 56 year old female with 25 years of service. My reviews have always been fine. Recently a new position has been posted with the description sounding like mine but with a new very similar title. I can tell you that my perception was that my director did not care for me. disturbs me that an action like this can occur with out a fair reason. You thoughts please.
Thank you,
Harriet Reilly [email protected]
or [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
In which state were you employed?

Connecticut

I worked for a Hospital in the Business office as a Manager.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

Connecticut is an at-will employment state. This means that, absent a contract or (sometimes) a company policy to the contrary, an employee may typically be terminated at any time for any reason or for no reason. Absent a contract or (sometimes) a policy, an employer doesn't have to have a good reason to terminate an employee, regardless of years of experience and employment. Unfortunately, good reasons for termination are only necessary in states that recognize the duty of good faith and fair dealing in at-will employment. Connecticut does not recognize that duty.

However, you mentioned your age and your gender. If you believe either of those issues motivated the termination, you may have a basis to file a discrimination charge. However, it is necessary to show more than age or gender differences. It's necessary to show that your membership with a protected class motivated the termination. The fact that the employer told you the position was being eliminated, even though the employer relisted the position later, could potentially be useful as circumstantial evidence to that effect. Company polices, memos, statements, etc. could also be helpful in that regard.

Filing deadlines are short and strict. The filing deadline with the EEOC, for instance, is 180 days. Accordingly, you will want to immediately take the matter to your attorney so that he can help you evaluate whether or not you wish to file a charge with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities or the EEOC.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).