Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My wife tore up & threw away her live payroll checks by mistake.

My wife tore up & threw away her "live" payroll checks by mistake. This happened for a year straight and my question is: what rights does she have and what can she/we do to recover the money. She works for AIG Insurance in SanFrancisco. They did repay her/ cut a check going back 90days, but 9mos. of due payroll is still needed and I wondered if there is anything a husband can do?
If they are refusing to pay her for that period of work, she can file a wage claim against them.

Yes, it was her mistake, but that mistake does not allow the employer to simply get away with not paying her. They can charge her a modest fee for reprinting the checks and putting stop payments on the old checks, but that's it.