Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

i work for a local beer dist. the original company was sold…

Customer Question
i work for a local...
i work for a local beer dist. the original company was sold 11 months ago and the new owner basicaly forced everyone to sign a non compete contract.........i am a delivery driver .... i was never given any "trade secerets...etc. now that ive been offered and accepted a better job with another dist. they are trying to enforce the contract......
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Does the non-compete limit you from working within a certain mile radius of the employer's office or prevent you from working for specific competitors? What is your job with the current employer?

it only states that i cant work for any competitor ........that sells, dist., services any or all of the same accounts........they are based in charlottesville and i went to work for a dist. in fredricksburg...
it only states that i cant work for any competitor ........that sells, dist., services any or all of the same accounts........they are based in charlottesville and i went to work for a dist. in fredricksburg... also they are trying to deny me all my vacation time accrued because i didnt finish out a two week notice.......i left with 2 days left in the notice

I see. Under VA law, this non-compete agreement would VERY likely be overbroad and unenforceable since the employer is trying to prevent you from working for any competitor, even if they are not protecting a legitimate business interest. This is an illegal restraint of trade.

Here is more information on the issue:

http://www.spottsfain.com/CM/RecentDevelopments/employers_review_noncompete_provisions.asp

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

what about the vacation time/pay i earned ?

What do you mean? The employer has not paid you for wages owed to you?