Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If i have been doin gmy job for 9 1/2 hours with no issues…

Customer Question
If i have been doin...
If i have been doin gmy job for 9 1/2 hours with no issues does my job have the authority to move me out of my postion to put someone else in my position.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

In order to assist you I need some clarification of your facts. Are you saying that you have been doing the same job for many years and that you have been moved to a different job now? Is this a permanent move or just temporary? Did your boss tell you why you were moved?
It is a permanet move and i was told just give other people the experience
Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. You don't say whether or not you have an employment contract. If you don't then in Tennessee you are an employee at will. Among other things, that means that your employer can set and change the terms and conditions of your employment including hours, pay, duties, job title, benefits, etc., as they deem necessary. The only restrictions is that the changes cannot be made with a discriminatory intent or result against someone who is in a protected class under Federal or State civil rights laws. Other than that they are free to make those changes.
I have an Application stating that this is what i was hired to do.
Unfortunately under both employment and contract law, that is not a contract. If it was, everyone would be working under a contract and that is not the case.