Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

i have been working 13 years for the same company 3 mouths…

Customer Question
i have been working 13...
i have been working 13 years for the same company 3 mouths ago they gave me an award for working above and beyond 4 weeks ago they fired me for working on my lunch i feel this was unfair for personal reason what can i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

As you may already know, Tennessee is an employment at will state. That means that your employer can terminate you for any, or no, reason and with no notice unless doing so would violate an employment contract, company policy or discrimination law. So, unless one of the exceptions applies to you, what your employer did was not illegal. That doesn't mean that it is right from a moral position, it just means it isn't unlawful. The laws do in many cases favor the employer.

If you think though that they either didn't follow their own rules, for example if they had a policy of giving warnings prior to termination, then you might have a case for wrongful discharge.