Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in texas and work in a county jail. I currently hold…

Customer Question
<p>I live in texas and...
<p>I live in texas and work in a county jail. I currently hold a position of control room operator that state jail standards says I have to be a corrections officer, yet 30 of us are hired on as a civilian position without the Corrections officers title. We all wear a officers uniform.  We did contact the jail's state standards and we were informed that yes, our job is a required corrections officer's position. A co-worker went up the line of supervisors to the Captain about this and was told," It's not going to happen. If you want to be a corrections officer then apply for the position." Many other positions in the jail had to be upgraded to Correction officer positions. Other positions such as classification clerks were all upgraded to a higher position and higher pay. The difference being there were only 6 of these positions to our 30 positions. We also got together with a Sgt that once trained in this jails academy for Corrections officers and was told, you all appear to be correction officers but clearly are not due to the significant amount of money the county is saving. We are speaking of millions of dollars being saved. Each year we are saving the county 1/4th of a million dollars in these 30 positions by simply keeping our mouths shut.</p><p> Is there anything that we can do about this without the threat of losing our jobs?</p>
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
You have the right to report the violation to Jail Standards and they can come in to force the employer to hire correctional officers to perform the job. Of course, doing this could mean they could simply fire all of the civilians and rehire and train all new correctional officers and force all of the civilians to reapply for the job. If you have a union, this is a battle for the union. If you have a civil service system, then it is something to be filed as a complaint through the civil service grievance process.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”