Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been working for a company for 3 years and just had…

Customer Question
I have been working for...
I have been working for a company for 3 years and just had my first "annual review." According to the directions on the review form, months prior to the actual review the supervisor was supposed to give me "expectations" to work toward, but that never happened. Her review of my work includes material taken out of context and material that is not true. (I have data, including emails, to back up this assertion.) It is very negatively skewed, and really does not reflect my work, but HR supports my supervisor's review. I am allowed to rebut the review, but have been told that my supervisor's "perception" matters more than mine. This goes ways beyond perception, though. It seems to me this misinformation is libelous. There is a history here as well, of such problems with my supervisor; I will get into that more, if needed. What kind of recourse do I have? Is this a legal issue?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
I will assume that you are an "at will" employee and have no employment contract. There is only a legal issue present here if the manager is illegally discriminating or has defamed you. Defamation is a false statement of fact. Here, it appears that the manager is stating opinion as to your work quality in the review. Opinion such as this does not create a viable defamation action. The remaining issue is whether you are being singled out due to some protected status such as race or gender. You do not mention any discrimination.

Generally, nothing prohibits an employer from behaving unfairly in this situation. The outcome would be different if discrimination was involved or if the manager actually made false statements of fact.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.