Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a 55 year old male employed as a picker/packer for the…

Customer Question
I am a 55 year...
I am a 55 year old male employed as a picker/packer for the past 5 years. My job is extremely physical with mandated overtime. I am on pain medication, and have talked to my supervisors who although are sympathetic but cannot offer me another position. If I resigned or was terminated for time and attendance, will I be eligible for unemployment benefits until I can find suitable employment.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. if you resigned or were let go for cause, you would not qualify for benefits.
My question is not being able to perform my previous job duties, due to my declining health, good cause for quiting my job? I have also accumulated points due to abscenses from work because I am physically exhausted, at times forced to work 12 to 14 hours per day. If I were to be terminated for excessive abscense will this prevent me from drawing unemployment. Evaluations over the past 5 years have all be above average in all areas except attendance?
You could seek fmla leave or disability leave rather than resigning.
I am not disabled, and am able to work, just not at this particular job. Fmla would only provide me with a temporary fix. The warehouse where I work is over 100degrees at times, I am taking Rx pain medication for arthritis and have had to increase the amount of medication I am taking just to get through the day. I believe continuing with this job poses a serious threat to my health, which does not mean I am disabled, and am asking if this is good cause to resign?
You can complain to the labor department and resign/seek benefits on basis of unsafe working conditions but I would notify unemployment first and get their consent.