Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband is being discriminated against or wrongfully mistreated…

Customer Question
My husband is being discriminated...
My husband is being discriminated against or wrongfully mistreated by the police department because of a jealous boss. He is a very good officer and has many awards and commendations and is well as a medal of valor. He is also well respected in the community. He decided to file suit with the EEOC when he had been constantly passed over for a promotions for officers with little or no skills in the field who was fellow buddies of his superiors. My husband is an expert in the field. They had him doing the job without the promotion, respect or pay and when he expressed his concerns, they moved him from his current position to a position that seems to be a demotion without stripping him of his title so we would be scared to sue. His title was an investigator with Sgt stripes who supervised many. They put him on some made up position on second shift stopping cars. We feel it is simply political and done on purpose to force him out because of a dirty supervisor who was recently found out to be sleeping with another patrolman's wife whom he hired as a secretary. They swept it under the rug and settle out of court. We feel my husbands case is being swept under the rug by the EEOC since we have not heard anything back except that they will not sit down to negotiate. We can not find an attorney we can trust just locally because it is a small town. We have lots of documentation of the case that could help. Our whole family has been paying as a part of the harassment in several ways because of filing with EEOC. We feel as though they are trying to force our family out of town the different forms of harassment and mental stress. Does it sound as if we have a good case and stand a really good chance of winning? If so should we hire a private attorney who can make sure we come out of this case ok?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
For what reason is the employer discriminating against him? For instance, age, race, gender, etc.?

Is it simply that the supervisor just doesn't like him?

Race. Looks that way! My husband is a team player and followed all the rules except not being one of thoses kind of cops. Why can't being a good cop matter?He is a good guy with 24 years experience, he even has a medal of valor.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

If he believes he's the victim of race discrimination, he may wish to work with his attorney to file a charge with the EEOC or with the Tennessee Human Rights Commission. If he can show that he was treated differently and that the treatment was because of his race, he may have a basis to recover. However, it's necessary to show that the treatment was because of race (not simply that he is of a different race than others in the workplace.

There's really no way I can give you a probability estimate as to his success. However, he would be prudent to have his attorney handle him with the process and, if a settlement isn't reached, with a lawsuit. His attorney can help him evaluate the evidence supporting his claim.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Relist: Answer quality.
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Previous attorney's answer was correct and a good quality answer.

It was a good answer if i had asked that question. It did not answer my question it is telling me something to do that i already stated i we were doing.

Thank you anyway

You asked if you should hire an attorney and I believe that the expert did indeed respond to that question.
I did, in fact, respond to your question.

If you have a follow-up question, I may be able to respond to that.

However, I can only respond to the questions you ask. I cannot guess at what you might want to know. Therefore, if you want to know something more, it will be necessary for you to ask.

What else do you want to know?