Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Material change in employment without compensation

Customer Question
I was hired for one...
I was hired for one position, but 6 months into my employment, my position was altered without an alteration in compensation and without a change in contractual terms. In this new position, I have had to assume responsibilities that belong to a higher level employee without training and without performance appraisals until recently (after 2 1/2 year of employment). In this new position I have also had to undertake expenses (for the company) that I am not entitled to be compensated for (parking, mileage, cell phone, office expenses). What are my chances of being able to collect unemployment due to these circumstances?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/23/2010
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Thanks for your question.You might seek to claim disparate treatment here.If you can argue discrimination here based on age, sex, race, etc you may well seek findings here and a right to sue letter from EEOC.You really have to try to fit this in here otherwise they have the right to modify terms of employment.But if they are singling you out here as opposed to others you can support an EEOC complaint and investigation.If they terminate you afterwords fiel retaliation complaint again with EEOC.This might also help your chances at unemployment here as well.
Ok. Are they allowed to give me a "final written warning" without having first given me an initial warning? In my performance review, there was discussion on things that could be improved, but in no way was it a warning. Also, the review was given on April 29th of this year, and I have received this "final written warning" ony 38 (business days) after the fact. If, in their opinion, performance isn't rectified within 30 days, I will be terminated.
Unless you are union then you are employment at will.They can terminate you any time without really any reason.thats why its important here to try and claim EEOC protection .

Complain here

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer given is something that can be researched on a search engine.
No problem