Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am 66 years and until recently April10) held the position…

Customer Question
I am 66 years and...
I am 66 years and until recently (April'10) held the position of VP Operation & Development Vietnam with a HKG based hotel management company. In total I worked for 11 years for this company. Originaly I was advised that I will be retired by end of June, while this date was then forwarded to end of March.
The proposed final settlement only amounted to approx 50% of my contractual entitlement.
I eventually agreed to a lower amount and signed a document May 17th), agreeing that if this amount is paid I have no further claims against the company.
However, until know I have not received any payment beside of my frequent reminders. No reasons are given for the none payment.
Would appreciate your advise how to proceed.

Thank you and best regards
G. Michael Bischof
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/23/2010
Employment Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
I urge you to consult a local employment attorney to decide if you want to try to enforce the agreement or sue for breach of contract on the original agreement. You can claim that the later agreement was breached and is of no effect and that you should get what was promised in the original agreement.

You can find employees' rights attorneys listed by location in Vietnam at
http://www.hg.org/law-firms/Employees-Rights/Vietnam.html

I hope that this information is helpful.

Edited by N Cal Attorney on 6/23/2010 at 10:52 AM EST
Please clarify were you hired in Vietnam or in Hong Kong?

Hired in Hong Kong by HongKong based company for Vietnam, reporting to President in HongKong while being based in Vietnam.

Hope this info helps.

best regards

G. Michael Bischof

If the agreement was made in Hong Kong then it is governed by Hong Kong law unless the agreement itself specifies that Vietnamese law applies.

There is a directory of Hong Kong employment attorneys posted at
http://www.hg.org/law-firms/Employment/China/Hong-Kong.html

Please have a local attorney review the agreement.