Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Ok, I was stationed in Korea and married a Korean. I wasnt…

Customer Question
Ok, I was stationed in...
Ok, I was stationed in Korea and married a Korean. I wasn't able to do my 2009 taxes because she didn't have her SSN yet and the tax center on base told me to wait till she does. We got to Ft Bliss TX and she got her SSN just today. I also went by the IRS center here and asked if I could get an extenden, I told them I was stationed over seas and she she I had 2 years to file. I need to know if this is true, and also if so can I file now? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/23/2010
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Thanks for your question.Here is reference to your question.

NEW FOR TAX YEAR 2009:
Any military member with an active .mil email address can file a tax extension for free with FileLater. Start your extension now.

Members of the U.S. military have more flexible rules regarding tax payment, in recognition of their service. If you're a member of any American military branch, here's what you need to know about tax extensions:

Tax Extensions for Soldiers Deployed Overseas
If you are serving overseas during tax season, you are automatically granted a two-month extension, with no paperwork required and no payments or penalties assessed. If you need more than two months, you can e-file IRS Form 4868 online right here at FileLater, and get an income tax extension until October 15.

This extension is designed for personnel serving in non-combat areas. If you are deployed in a combat zone, or move to one from a non-combat area while overseas, see below.

Tax Extensions for Soldiers Deployed in Combat Zones
If you are serving or have recently served in a combat zone, you have additional options for tax extensions. You are allowed an extension that equals:
  • The amount of time served in a combat zone before taxes are due

• Any time spent continually hospitalized due to injuries sustained in a combat zone (up to five years)

• 180 days on top of the two time periods calculated above
This extension includes the tax preparation time you would have had if you weren't serving overseas. For example, if you deployed March 1, you would earn a 226-day extension - 180 days for the automatic extension, plus the 46 days between March 1 and April 15.

During this extension period, no penalties or interest will be assessed on your taxes. This extension applies to any and all taxes due, whether from income, investments, capital gains or anything else.

Remember, this tax extension applies only to your time served directly in a combat zone. If you are initially deployed to a non-combat area, and are then moved to a combat zone, your tax extension will only be calculated from the date you arrive in the combat zone.