Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I applied for a job at Smith Turf and Irrigation. After meeting…

Customer Question
I applied for a job...
I applied for a job at Smith Turf and Irrigation. After meeting with the guy for an interview which I had to drive 4 hours to meet I was selected passed a background check and drug screen, and was told that I was chosen for the position. The guy told me that HR would call me and set a rate of pay for me and then I could start working. This was in April and it is now late June and I can not get anyone to respond to me. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/22/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Just based on the information you provided I am guessing that the company is not ready to hire anyone. It is probably related to financial issues due to the economic situation. That certainly have no duty to bring you on board if they choose not to unless you had a written contract that was already in effect. You appear to have been line up to be an employee at will so there is, as I implied, no requirement to finish the hiring process. If you believe that you have not been called because you are being subject to unlawful discrimination then you might have a claim. You would need to be a member of a protected class under civil rights laws and the reason for your inability to start work would have to be because of that.

My suggestion is that you write a letter to their HR and copy the person who interviewed you asking for a definitive answer as to why your hiring has not been completed. You can send it certified with return receipt requested so that you have a record that they received it. In the end, it might not make any difference, but it will let them know you are still interested but need to explore other options if they aren't going to complete the hiring process by starting the job.