Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughters high school has been in violation of IDEA and…

Customer Question
My daughter's high school has...
My daughter's high school has been in violation of IDEA and failed to execute appropriate support for her education. She has a clinical diagnosis of major depressive disorder and anxiety disorder and the actions of the school have not only failed to support her educational needs but also caused undue stress that makes her symptoms worse. It is not psychological care that we have asked for but educational support. It took 3 quarters of this year for them to respond to my request for consideration for a 504 plan. They did not deny 504 or IEP they just ignored the requests. I have several documented examples of situations where the school simply did not take actions that they should have. They also have not denied services or said that my support requests are unfounded. Is there anything that we can do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/21/2010
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
At this point, since you have exhausted your channels your next step is to proceed with suit in federal court under the IDEA against the school. You will need medical documentation of the condition from her therapist along with recommendations for the IEP from the therapist to proceed with the case, since the IEP recommendations would be what you would use to argue the school has ignored and failed to provide. You will need a local attorney involved in the case and to find one you can use the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com and http://www.findlaw.com

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”