Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What rights does a person have if their employer is telling…

Customer Question
What rights does a person...
What rights does a person have if their employer is telling their governing body lies about them to get them terminated?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Employment Lawyer: JPEsq, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JPEsq, Lawyer

Your remedy would be to file a civil lawsuit for defamation of character against the supervisor. Since you have your job, you cannot file a wrongful termination suit (but even if you didn't, you probably would not have a wrongful termination suit).

To win a defamation suit, you have to show that the statements made to 3rd parties were false and that you or your reputation was damaged by the statements.