Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

After 4 weeks training as a news editor at a local TV station,

Customer Question
I was terminated and told...
After 4 weeks training as a news editor at a local TV station, I was terminated and told that I was "too slow". My replacement is a male, and is the brother of one of the producers, and brother-in-law of another employee. The TV station has no female news editors or photographers.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2010
Employment Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Can you please clarify what is your actual question that you would like assistance with?
I was wondering if there's a possible discrimination issue here.

In addition, I am over 50, and disabled, although I didn't disclose my disability to my employer because I was afraid that I wouldn't initially even be given the opportunity.

I was an At Will employee, so may it doesn't make any difference after all.

Thank you.

Sue Groves
The facts that you describe do suggest that you were an at-will employee. This means that you could quit at any time and they could terminate you at any time. The facts that you've describe do not suggest that your termination was motivated by your age or disability. Thus, from the facts that you've described, there is no basis for a discrimination complaint.

I know that it may seem to be unfair/unjust, however, that is the nature of at-will employment. You serve at the will, or whim, of the employer.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!