Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated from my salaried position after six months…

Customer Question
I was terminated from my...
I was terminated from my salaried position after six months of employment, allegedly for performance. I received no warnings, nor written or verbal counselings. I am 61 years of age and I believe that I am a victim of age discrimination. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Did you have an employment contract?

Why do you believe that you were discriminated against because of your age? (i.e. what are the facts?)

No I did not have an employment contract. I was the Division Controller reporting to two Sr. Vice Presidents. I was to be trained by the Chief Accounting Officer, who rarely had time due to prep for the Company's Chapter 11 filing. He told another employee that when I was hired "they thought that I was in my 50s, but he's not." After three months of employment one of the Sr. Vice Presidents that I reported to asked my age. After telling him, my job parameters changed.

When I was hired, they said that I would be more of an Operations Manager than a pure accountant for a distribution center here in Indianapolis. The Company headquarters are in Evansville. I immediately became responsible for the budget and forecasts for which I had not been trained. The few times that I was at the Corporate to be trained I was met with coldness and limited help. I am an African American and I have not felt this type of resentment since the early 70's, but there was no overt acts of racism. Accordingly, I wanted to dismiss this theory.

I know Indiana is an "at will" state, but in my experience I have always had to document and counsel poor performing employees.

If you believe that you were terminated because of your age, and it definitely sounds like there were some overt comments about your age made to you, you can go ahead and file a complaint with the EEOC. Their website is at www.eeoc.gov

Let me know if you need any further clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we get compensated for our time and expertise.