Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

After 10+ years of satisfactory performance (last evaluation…

Customer Question
After 10+ years of satisfactory...
After 10+ years of satisfactory performance (last evaluation was unsatisfactory) with a quasi federal agency I was terminated for unsatisfactory performance by a new manager with whom I had a grievance. I learned that the manager's initial desire was to terminate me. However, the manager was convinced to placed me on probation. I was place on probation (6 month) for "performance" reasons. Three possible scenarios were listed as consequences of probation (1) extension of probation (2) demotion or (3) termination. During the probation period I interacted with my direct supervisor who did not have an issue with my performance, we spoke regularly. My work was delivered in a timely and acceptable manner during the probation period. Unfortunately, my conversations with my direct supervisor were not documented.

I was terminated a day before the expiration of probation and my direct supervisor seemed surprised by my termination. Is there cause for EEOC complaint?

Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Is your employer a government contractor? What type of grievance was pending when the new manager put you on probation? Are you a union employee?

My former employer is the United States Central Bank, Federal Reserve. The unofficial grievance developed when I questioned a document from the manager's workgroup that was similar to an original document produced by a workgroup I was affiliated with. When this occurred I was not reporting to this manager. I believe this manager's action was vindictive and retaliation for my questioning the document.

I see. As a government employee, you are entitled to due process. This includes filing a grievance regarding your termination and being heard as to the reason you were terminated. It does not appear you were terminated with good cause, so I would retain a local employment law attorney familiar with government employees to at least counsel you through the process in order to help persuade the employer that you were terminated without good cause.

The EEOC would not investigate the matter unless you were terminated based on discrimination of some sort such as race, age, disability, gender, or other protected class.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.