Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was assaulted at work by an employee. I filed a report with…

Customer Question
I was assaulted at work...
I was assaulted at work by an employee. I filed a report with the sheriff's office and it is listed as assault and battery.

My employer refuses to fire this person because they said he was "too valuable because customers hate change, and his route is too valuable". The person who assaulted me has three assault and battery charges on his record, one with a deadly weapon. My employer does back ground checks prior to employment, and knew this person's history.

What recourse do I have against the employee and the employer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/18/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

You may have a case for negligent hiring against your employer. You will want to consult with a local employment law attorney or, if you can't find one that handles these cases, a personal injury attorney. Because your employer knew this person's history and hired him anyway, then they are vicariously responsible for his actions and directly responsible for their own hiring practice that put you in this position. I am assuming that you have a case that does not involve mutual combat or self-defense on his part.

You apparently have already filed criminal charges against this individual. You could also request a restraining order if you can show that you are under a continuing threat. If the restraining order is granted you will, of course, want it to include the workplace. Finally, you could file civil charges against him for the assault and battery. You will want to speak with a personal injury about that. In fact, you could talk to them about both your employer's liability and his.