Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been working for a small family owned business for about…

Customer Question
I have been working for...
I have been working for a small family owned business for about 20 years. When I first started I was told that I would get $0.50 pay increase per year. Over the years that has drizzle to not getting a raise at all. Seeing that the business has been slow for many years, and hearing the constant complaining that there is no money coming in, my conscience would not allow me to ask for a raise. I keep thinking once the business pick up, they will make good by me. That did not happen.
I have been loyal and dedicated to them. There are years I did not take a vacation because there would be no one to do my job, and I did not even ask for my vacation money. When I worked one (1) hour or thirty (30) minutes over time, I get a “Thank you” or I get to leave early for the time I worked. I get a Christmas bonus every year, but for working at a place for twenty years, that bonus and my salary add up to just a little over minimum wage. It is like my eyes just open up and I now see that they are just using me, because they see my loyalty and dedication to them, and that I am quite and have a sort of “door mat” personality.
Secretly, I am looking very hard for another job, but right now I am not making any waves because I still need to pay my bills and I also help my elderly mother. Once I am out of there can I sue them for all the money they have stolen from me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/18/2010
Employment Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

If you don't have any of these promises in writing, you're not going to have a claim against the employer for any money unless you can get them to admit that you're owed something under the oral promises.

My guess is that they're going to deny owing you anything. In that case, you're not going to have a solid legal claim.