Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I need to know what I can do about a situation(s) at my job.

Customer Question
I do the payroll for...
I need to know what I can do about a situation(s) at my job. I do the payroll for a non for profit in the state of Connecticut. I had informed the head of our organization that the Director of Personnel is lying on her time sheets (she is falsefying them) the problem is that the Head of Personnel and the Head of my Organization are best of friends and now that I reported this, I am being retailiated against.

I also suffer from an illness called menieres disease. This is kind of like vertigo, but worse. Every so often, I would have an episode in my office that would cause me to lose my balance, get dizzy, throw up ect. I was told by the head of the organization that this is an act. BELIEVE ME, THIS IS NO ACT! I have been taken out by ambulance probably 5 times in the past 3 years.

Finally, a co-worker printed out an e-mail to me in which he BLASTED their boss. HE GAVE THIS TO ME! He them went to the Head of Personnel, the Head of the Organization and said I stole it. HE LIE
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/18/2010
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

I am here to assist. However, I did not see a specific question.

What was your question?

I do not understand what you mean. I am being retaliated at work for reporting things that are improper. I need help!

I did not see a specific question.

What is your question?

Again, what should I do in this situation? I feel as if I am going to lose my job any day now due to retailation. This is what I am trying to find out. Is this legal what they did to me? Do I have any recourse??? What if they do fire me?
Employment Lawyer: Lawdoctor, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor, Lawyer

Dear JA Customer:

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

Attorney Phillips requested that I assist you with your question.

If you have notified your employer of your menieres (and yes, it is very real) then you have protection under the American's with Disability Act (ADA) if your employer qualifies under the Act (that they have more than 15 employees). Also, since you reported a superior's wrong doing, you may also have protection as a whistleblower. I would encourage you to seek local counsel (attorney) who specializes in Employment retaliation and or whistleblower cases. You will need to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at www.eeoc.gov for both violations of the ADA and the retaliation.

I wish you the very best.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Edited by Lawdoctor on 6/18/2010 at 2:00 AM EST