Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter lives in KY. She passed the Ky. bar last year and…

Customer Question
My daughter lives in KY...
My daughter lives in KY. She passed the Ky. bar last year and is 49 years old and has 2 kids in a rental house. She was a paralegal for a law firm in Louisville for 3.5 years before passing the bar. There was no opening for a female lawyer at this law firm. She applied at other law firms and finally found one just across the Ohio river in Indiana. She started there in March 30th of 2010. After less than 3 months she was told that she was not working out with the partner she was hired to help. Part of the reason was she had not sat for the Indiana bar yet. This firm told her they would hire her and give her a week off in early July to study for the July bar. On Monday, they gave her a choice of quitting or being fired. She did not want "fired" on her record, so she quit and was informed that yesterday was her last day.
Is there any possibility of her getting any financial assisance through unemployment insurance or some other federal or state aid? She says there isn't because she quit.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear of your daughter's dilemma.

She could try to argue that she was constructively discharged since she would have been fired if she did not resign. But it is a more difficult argument to prevail on than if she had been terminated without good cause.

It may be worth a try depending on all of the circumstances.

In addition, she could have a breach of contract claim if she can prove the employer agreed to keep her on through the IN bar exam and promised to provide her paid time off. She may also have a claim for detrimental reliance against the IN firm if they made assurances and she left her previous job based on those assurances, which turned out to be false.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.