Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If someone that works at a retail store is given an evaluation…

Customer Question
If someone that works at...
If someone that works at a retail store is given an evaluation that states that they meet the qualification for a raise, is the retailer obligated to give the raise? My mom as work for a retailer for many years and has gotten great evaluations every year with a raise. This year was different. She got a great eval again but they said due to the fact that the store did not meet their profitable margin and the store got bad surveys online she was not getting her raise this year. Is this legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
In which state is the matter taking place?
california

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, an employer doesn't typically have an obligation to provide a raise to an employee unless the employee has a contract that requires it. However, if company policy requires a raise be paid under certain circumstances, failure to provide a raise under those circumstances could potentially constitute a breach of an implied contract or a breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing. However, typically employers have no obligation to provide a raise and may actually decrease an employee's pay at the employer's discretion.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).