Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated on June 10, 2010 I was the staffing coordinator.

Customer Question
On June 09, 2010 I...
I was terminated on June 10, 2010 I was the staffing coordinator. On June 09, 2010 I was unable to get enough RN'S or LPN's to cover the shift (7a-7p) The Director of Nursing knew the situation. You need 4 daily I was able to get 1(7a-7p) 3 that would only work 8 hrs. I have statements from serveral nurses and mangers that they were asked to work. You need 10 fulltime nurses to cover the floor for a 2 week period. Their are only 4 fulltime nurses total for the floor No new nurses have been hired since Feb 2010, serveral have qwuit or been terminated. The next day at 3:55pm I was called to the office and told my services were no longer needed just like that. what can I do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Did you have a contract of employment stating that you could only be terminated for cause?

Do you suspect discrimination on the basis of your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use as the real reason for your termination? If so, why?
no contract i was with the company since 9/5/00. yes everyone thats been terminated was black replacement are white. There was a situation in Jan 2010 a nurse was told she couldn't be a case maanger anymore because she was a LPN that position requires an RN she was told she had to go be a staff nurse she did to keep her job a couple a weeks later she was replaced with a white case manager that is an LPN now they have 2 case managers both are white and LPN's
Ok. Without a contract, you'd be an "at will" employee and can legally be terminated for no reason at all.

The except to that is termination based on an illegal factor, like race. It's only circumstantial evidence, but still evidence, that you were terminated for an unreasonable reason and replaced with a white person....that suggests race as the motivation.

But you need to contact the EEOC to get any further. They have to investigate the claim and preserve your right to sue with a "right to sue letter."