Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I quit my job over 5 years ago. Since then I have been unemployed…

Customer Question
I quit my job over...
I quit my job over 5 years ago. Since then I have been unemployed and living on my partners income. The company I worked for has closed 90% of their locations including the branch I worked in as a manager. Is it possible for me to collect unemployment since I have been employed for the last 5 years? even though I quit? I did quit because of a demotion and a decrease in salary. Will that help me any when filling?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
You can not file if you have been unemployment for 5 years. When they consider your unemployment, they look at the last 5 quarters (not the last 5 your worked....but the actual last 5 in history) to figure out your base pay and use that to determine your benefit.

You have no base on, so even if you could qualify you'd get no benefit.