Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been working for a cardiologists office since 1999.

Customer Question
I was hired in as...
I have been working for a cardiologists office since 1999. I was hired in as a receptionist and over the years I have worked myself up to Operations Manager. In December of 08 a new CEO was hired. He hired several top management staff and has kept 1 since that time. He has said on numeous occassions that he was unsure what to do with me and has me in a desk outside his office being his administrative assistant. The jobs and tasks that I used to do and am still capable of doing he has given to someone else. In this new position I have never been given a job description so my duties have never been defined. There are 78 employees and 14 providers in our group. Along with being the administrative assistant, I handle all of the schedules for the providers and payroll for the staff. This past week I was informed that my salary should be cut by 1/3 because of the changes he has made. I am unsure of my rights and what I need to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Do you feel you are being singled out b/c you're a minority or female (IF you are this, of course)?

Not really. I think that he feels I may try to undermine his authority with the providers. He has mentioned on several occassions that by putting me outside his door as his assistant will keep the staff and providers from coming to me. It has not.

Hello,So sorry for the wait - there was a system glitch I believe.You're not going to like my answer. Companies have considerable right to hire/fire, demote/promote, and discipline workers, as long as said decision is not based on race/gender/ethnicity/religion/etc. Thus, however unfair and blatantly idiotic the reason is, it is within the law for him to to make said decisions and act this way. I am sorry. Sometimes, people seek legal remedy when they have been morally wronged, but for whom legal avenues are few. I am afraid this is one of these times.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”