Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

My employer wants me to sign a noncompete agreement after being

Customer Question

My employer wants me to sign a noncompete agreement after being employed for a year, and four months in my current position. They say if i do not sign it they will let me go however after i turned it down they have continued to let me work and even gave me a raise. But i know that soon they will let me go. What can i do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately unless you have an employment contract that guarantees you a job, in Florida you are an employee at will. That means that you can be terminated for any, or no, reason and with no notice unless doing so would violate a company policy or discrimination law. In addition, your employer is free to set and change the terms and conditions of employment as they see fit including the requirement that you sign a non-compete agreement. The "consideration" required to have a valid contract/agreement is your continued employment. So, you have a choice to either sign the agreement or face termination.